Saturday, January 9, 2010

Pumpkin-Pecan Belgian Waffles

One would think from reading through my posts that I only cook really unhealthy things. I don't! Most of the time I try to keep things very healthy and low-fat, but every once in awhile it's fun to have a weekend breakfast that bends the rules a bit.

I think this came from my friend Diane Kinateder. She invited several of us up to her gorgeous new home for breakfast and served these. I've been experimenting with several versions, and this is the one we like the best. It's not too sweet, so if you serve it with syrup it will be perfect. And sprinkling pumpkin pie spice on top of the whipped cream is genius.

Pumpkin-Pecan Belgian Waffles

2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, sifted
1/2 c. pecans, ground (optional)
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 eggs, separated
1 3/4 c. milk
1/2 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. butter, melted
1 tsp. vanilla

In a large bowl, stir together flour, pecans, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.

In a medium bowl, whisk egg yolks until blended. Whisk in milk, pumpkin, butter, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, mixing until thoroughly blended.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites at medium-high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold into batter.

heat Belgian waffle iron. Lightly grease waffle iron. Pour 1/2 c. batter per waffle onto iron (adjust according to waffle iron); close lid. Cook 3-4 minutes or until golden.

Serve with butter, maple syrup, whipped cream, and pumpkin pie spice sprinkled on top.

Yield: 10 Belgian Waffles

No comments:

Post a Comment