Monday, December 28, 2009

Such Pretty Things


Both of my grandmothers were brides in the early 1930s. Their children were born and raised during hard times and then a war, but they were both remarkably resourceful women. Even though their husbands worked very hard and were successful financially in their chosen fields, neither couple gave up their frugality.

I can remember my mom's mother, Gigi, sewing bedspreads and curtains well into her 70s to redecorate the guest room. My dad's mom, Mimi, knit purses out of bread bags and sewed the most beautiful tailored suits from Vogue patterns and Pendleton wool. Doing things herself saved a lot of money, but she insisted on using the best fabrics.

I was remaking our Advent Wreath this year and thought about the bowl of sequined fruit that Gigi used to have on her dining table. There were apples, grapes, bananas, cherries--all bejeweled with sequins and beads. I'm sure some would think they were kitschy, but I loved them. I have no idea what happened to them when my grandparents passed away--someone probably saw them and thought they looked a bit dog-eared and suitable only for the trash.

As I searched for a picture online to show my girls what they looked like, I came across the most beautiful blog. It's called Such Pretty Things and is just full of gorgeous, vintage, creative wonders. The author is so clever and has a great eye for classic vintage goodies. I am so inspired by her ideas and can't wait to sift through my odds and ends and see what new things I can create.

2 comments:

  1. and they were, too. learned to cook, hand sew, machine sew, crochet, tat, play finger games, sing cute and naughty rhymes. Learned how to grow flowers from seed and how to tell weeds from flowers. Learned that if you have good legs, you should show them.
    Learned how to mumble wise-ass remarks out the side of my mouth (thanks Mimi)
    Learned to always have a house full of my best friends (books) and I'd never be lonely.

    ReplyDelete