I dearly love chocolate, I really do, but sometimes it's nice to have a little treat that features different flavors and textures. Almond is one of my most favorite flavors and smells, and I think that almond cakes and breads are perfect for summer evenings or to take to a friend.
I've had this recipe kicking around for awhile, but finally made it yesterday. It was very easy, and the payoff was fabulous. I would love to take credit for it, but I found it on Our Best Bites, a really great cooking website. I think the recipe is a little jumbled, so I've changed the order a bit. Be aware that it takes awhile for the glaze to harden, though popping it in the fridge accelerates the process. I took a loaf up to VisualAnarchy, along with my new moleskine for the next Ravelry round, and kept one for us, which is now only a memory.
Almond Poppyseed Bread
3 c. all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/8 c. canola oil
3 eggs
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1 1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
1 1/2 c. milk
2 tsp. poppy seeds
Glaze:
3/4 c. white granulated sugar
1/4 c. orange juice
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. almond flavoring
Preheat oven to 350, and lightly grease two regular loaf pans or five mini-loaf pans.
In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
In a large bowl, combine sugar, oil, eggs, vanilla, and flavorings and beat for 2 minutes.
Alternate adding flour mixture and milk to sugar/egg mixture, then mix until just combined. Fold in poppy seeds.
Pour into prepared pans and bake (35-40 minutes for mini pans, 1 hour for large pans). Keep an eye on them and do not overbake them. When done, place on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then removed from pans and allow to cool completely.
While loaves are cooling, prepare the glaze by combining all glaze ingredients. Drizzle over cooled loaves and allow to harden.
For a much faster version, without the poppy seeds, here is a recipe one of my very first college roommates gave me. It's not fussy at all, which is very nice sometimes.
Almond Cake
(from Elizabeth Aamodt)
3 eggs
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
1 c. flour
1 tsp. almond extract
Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease one regular loaf pan. Mix all ingredients until smooth. Bake for 45 minutes (or until cracks look dry). Dust with powdered sugar if desired.
No comments:
Post a Comment