Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mexican Salad


I'm ashamed that I haven't updated in so long.  I hope you'll feel that this recipe was worth the wait!

Mexican Salad was a standby in my house growing up.  I have no idea where my mom got the recipe, but it's one of the few everyone in the family loves.  With summer coming on, the last thing I want to do is turn my oven on.  Having a go-to recipe that can be done in one pan on the stove is the perfect hot weather solution.

There are several ways to make this that I've tried, and probably some that I haven't.  One way is to use canned chili instead of making the hamburger/bean mixture.  It's much faster, but I don't care for it as much.  Making it from scratch doesn't really take up much time, and the house smells divine for a day or so.

There are also several options for the sauce.  One is to use bottled French dressing from the store.  Another is to use canned tomato sauce.  Yet another is to used bottled taco sauce.  Try it a few different ways until you find the one you like best.  I always seem to commit myself to a recipe only to find I'm missing tomato sauce or something, so it's nice to have a few options.  I like things a bit spicy, so I add a lot of chili powder.  You might want to start out with around 2 1/2 tsp. and then add more to taste.

I finally started making my own French dressing from a recipe I found online.  I cut it in half and save the rest of it in the refrigerator or freezer for later, depending on how soon until it will be used.  I just whip it up in the blender from ingredients I have on hand anyway.  Much cheaper, and I can pronounce everything in it.

I love that this recipe takes so little meat, yet can feed 5-6 people.  Just add another can of beans to make it stretch further.  I've never made kidney beans from scratch, but that would be amazingly good as a substitute for canned.

Mexican Salad

3/4 lb. lean hamburger
1/2 c. chopped onion
1-3 16 oz. cans dark red kidney beans, drained
1 c. French or taco dressing OR 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
2 T. chili powder (you can cut this down)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
4 c. shredded lettuce
1 c. shredded Monterey Jack/Cheddar cheese (or whatever you prefer)
Tortilla chips
Optional:  sliced black olives, avocado, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, sour cream, lime wedges...

Brown hamburger and onion.  Cook until tender.  Stir in dressing and seasonings; simmer 15 minutes.  Stir in beans and heat through. 

Place shredded lettuce on a plate.  Spoon meat sauce on top, and sprinkle with cheese.  Add any toppings you desire, and eat with either a fork or scoop it with tortilla chips.

Makes 5-6 servings.

French Dressing (courtesy Jane Barta)

1 1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 c. ketchup
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. vinegar
1 small onion, chopped
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. salt

In a blender or food processor, blend all ingredients until smooth. Store in the refrigerator.


No comments:

Post a Comment