Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Ready to Take the Plunge?

I've been interested and even dabbled in vegetarianism for a long time now. My brother was a vegetarian for many years, and I spent a summer in Chicago meatless and quite happy about it. I still make quite a few things that would qualify as vegetarian, but I haven't pursued it as much as I should have. Travis has been feeling a bit under the weather as of late, so I'm considering a change around here.

In reading about lots of different health issues lately, the benefits of a meatless diet keep popping up. I am a bit concerned about protein and calcium, though, so I'm still reading. I've also read that if you are on thyroid medication, which several of us are, soy can inhibit the absorption of the medicine.

Back in the 80s, my brother had me read Diet For a Small Planet and it was very helpful when it came to understanding food combining. Since then, though, I've read that combining isn't important at all. It's all so confusing to me. One book that is very interesting is A Taste For Living Cookbook. I bought that years ago when my dad was in the early years of prostate cancer, and it really does have some great recipes. I've also gotten newsletters for quite awhile from GoVeg.com, and I've learned tons from them.

So I'm wondering--should we take the plunge? Travis isn't too keen on the idea, and apart from Isabelle I'm not sure how well the kids will accept it all. But if it really makes a difference, all will be forgiven and we could conceivably live a much longer and healthier life. Now that I'm more than halfway through mine, I'm not particularly anxious to have it end prematurely.

So--any good recipes or cookbook recommendations? Are any of you vegetarians/vegans? Anyone want to jump in with us?

1 comment:

  1. You could try just slowly reducing meat-- use it as a side or a condiment, instead of a main course-- and weed it out without really saying anything. I read (in In Defense of Food) that eating just a little bit of meat has similar health benefits to eating none. (I can't really speak as to health benefits, since I"m still eating some meat, but I never cook with it and am trying to maximize my vegetable consumption. Good luck, if you do take the plunge!)

    ReplyDelete